Thursday, July 01, 2004

I continue to learn a lot more at work these days. My boss talked to me about already planning for next year's camp. She wants me to start over or revamp the camp to add some spice into it. She said that she'll stay out of it because she's too busy and trusts me. I'm thankful for having such a supportive and godly boss. I'm thankful that she helps me when I am frustrated such as today, and helps me focus on Him.

So what did I learn today? I learned that one of the other counselors is using/copying the same system that I have been using. She tries to keep it a secret so I don't know that she's using it. On one hand it's nice that they trying to meet the bar that I've set, however now it forces me to push myself even higher.

I truly believe that one of my kids was mistreated last week. My boy Andrew, was at another table and this week I have him at my table. Now I know Andrew, he may be a troublemaker but I know he is smart too. I've been really observant and I noticed last week that Andrew and a few others were able to raise hell whenever they want. It was cool with the counselor because she didn't have to deal with it as long as she has her 3 girls to play with. She was thankful that Andrew is not at her table anymore. Last week, he collected only 2 stickers! While already mid-way through the week, he has collected 6 stickers with me. Yesterday and today made me the most proud because he took 2nd in a clay craft, 1st in a puppet activity, and 1st in chinese calligraphy. He has put in more effort with me because he knows that I care about him. I noticed the 3 girls at the beginning of the week had 5 times as many stickers and tickets as Andrew. Kids aren't dumb, they know who you like and who you don't. Many counselors don't want him at their tables, but I do. I've taught him on Sundays, and he's been with me since my first year at ACA. I have faith in him that he can succeed and he's showing it to the rest of the counselor's right now.

Which brings me to my next point at work. We had a teacher come in to teach Chinese Calligraphy. Now she's old and she is very mean to the kids if they make a mistake. I didn't say anything at first because afterall it is her time to teach. However, when you intimidate one of kids and make him cry, thinking you all bad then I need to step in. Big Bad Mama as I referred to her as, made one of my boyz cry at another table. When the camp saw that, most of them stopped working because they did not want to be scolded at. But, not my kids at my table because I fired them up with a pep talk. I kept telling my kids that "we aren't scared of Big Bad Mama", "just cuz you older than us we ain't backin down." The teacher usually picks the best ones and hang them up on the wall. I kept telling my kids, "show Big Bad Mama you ain't scared by putting in your best work up there, make her put your work up there and eat her words." My table was fired up like no other. My boss heard me saying all this and all she did was laugh.

I went back to talk to my boy who cried and I got into his head. I told that he's gotta show to her that he ain't scared either. He bought into and just grabbed the brush and took over. I fired the rest of that table up by telling them "who's gonna back him up and go to war baby against Big Bad Mama." Next thing ya know, bam the kids responded.

Now my kids at my table, all went up to Big Bad Mama, and told her "you better put our work up there." Even my Mei Mei through in a "grrrrr." Why because I teach my kids don't scared and don't back down. After this incident, the kids now call my table, The People's Table because that is where they all wanna be at. What happened to the rest of the counselors? Well they just chit chatted away while their kids were sitting around before my rally cry. High fives were going all around by me, even my Lil' G from Kindergarten responded.

My table, we ain't no joke and to the rest of dem I ain't no joke either. One of my kids wrote a story about me today too. I read it and it touched me because they know I care and give this job to the max. My kids ain't no joke, they ain't dumb they see it from everyone's action or inaction.

2 Days Left

No comments: