Tuesday, February 12, 2002

What Does It Take To Be # 1?

Well, I have just started to do this blog thing to see what the G squared is all the hype about this thing. I can't believe so many people I know are all down with this. So I guess, I'll go into my past because that's what I've been thinking about lately. My life revolved around b-ball and it still does next to God. I've been thinking about how much God has changed me to the person I am today. I remember in 2nd grade when my parents signed me up for b-ball camp and I cried because that meant no more cartoons for me especially Transformers. But I loved the camp and forced me to learn the game. As I grew older, I started playing b-ball with my cousins Damon, and Derrick. Back then I was just a scrub because the guys were older, bigger, and better than me. The crew would be Damon, Derrick, Gary, Jimmy, Ray, Way, Nikolai, Rob, Frank, and Russ. We would play ball 24-7 and at that time I was always humble because I couldn't match up to them. Once high school started my game went to a new level. As I developed my best weapon, the killer crossover. People started talking about me saying that I was disrespectful, selfish, arrogant, cocky, and trash talking to everyone. I was always this way because people never thought Chinese people could play ball, which is sort of true. I learned my game from playing with/against African Americans because they play good and look good doing it. While white folks just try to look good, and Asians just play as if the game was new to them. That's the way I was because in my eye, nobody gave me the respect I deserved. So I had to talk trash as well to get the attention, I would trash talk to my opponents, teammates, refs, coaches, and most of all the parents watching the game. I've had fans heckle me by chanting "Kobe" everytime I missed a shot because back then that was who I try to model my game after. I think people also judged me for how I acted and dressed because I chose not to dress up for game days or anything special.

Then He came into my life in 1999. God opened a door for me at Chinese Bible Church for Saturday morning b-ball. I was still a wild mouth kid but now I was seeking for direction in my life. God wiped out all those words said about me and changed it to other words that people saw in me. People who knew me back in the 90's see me on the court as fearless, courageous, loyal, competitive, and a leader. One person once said to me that he couldn't believe that I was only 21 and still I am getting better. And now instead of saying it is all me, I know it is God who has blessed me with the abilities that I can do. But He has a greater purpose for me, lately I've been shying away from responsibilities because I don't like that role of a leader. I don't like people following me because I was always scared of doing something wrong that would cause people to fall or make a group look bad. And since today is Chinese New Year, starting today I've decided to take on those responsibilities that I believe I can handle if God is calling me to be the leader of a group, fellowship, team, ministry or whatever He calls me to do. I've been looking back and see how my life has changed and I hope I can continue to strive towards being disciplined in godliness. Lord knows that I failed big time this past Saturday.

And one last thing, last night at Golden Harvest, I found out a stunner. Me, Chrissy, and Connie use to play with each other at least I think. I ran into their family at Golden Harvest and their dad said that we use to play with each other when my grandma was playing mah-jong with them. I kept wondering how old was I. And did they play nicely with me or did they abuse me because after all I was the youngest? Or did they leave me in the sandbox all alone :( Small world though and how the world of mah-jong can bring people together. Now wouldn't that be an outreach event for CBC, Mah-jong outreach. I bet that would bring in a lot of non-Christians and what a way to minister to them as well. Mah-jong gotta love it but I can't play worth a lick. Well my first blog and I see it is rather long, plus I am a hour late for my class. Time to get down tonight for v-ball though. Peace!

No comments: