Saturday, October 25, 2003

Frustration, pisstation, furiated, etc. is how I felt after yesterday's Conference Finals lost 20-6. Normally, I would say yeah it's my fault for losing but there is nothing that I could of think of for this one. A lot of teams in this league always kept challenging our QB's arm. Even our own teammates question his QB skills. I was one of the few who always stood up for him. The past few games I haven't seen the ball thrown my way as much. I kept my mouth shut, instead of "Throw me the damn ball" attitude I had in the regular season. Why? Because we were winning when I didn't see the ball thrown as much. But come on, in the Conference Finals, I kept looking around at who exactly on the team wanted a play. The sad part was, it wasn't even the defense that shut me down, but our conservative offense that kept me in check. I mean I had to line up at RB just to catch screen passes because we're afraid to throw deep or anything pass 10 yards.

On defense, it was set me vs. Mike that was the showdown. However, someone wanted me to take John because he was the fastest guy. But my opinion Mike is the more complete WR. 5 plays after the coin toss, yup Mike scores a 40 yard bomb over the CB who wanted to switch. After that play, for the rest of the game, Peter made me cover Mike. Oh yeah and let's see Mike stats after the switch, 2 receptions for 15 yards. The other CB who switched with me got burned again for what would be the last TD of the game. How much do I study games? I studied Mike's first 2 receptions against me. I noticed him and his QB go by the same thing I do, a number system on routes. For them, 1 was drag, 2 was an out pattern. Simple as that, I told everyone at halftime to anticipate it when you see a finger signal or a mouth signal. Of course people still got burned especially again the same CB. This was pissing me off, it's like who the G am I suppose to cover here?

Now we move on to special teams. As we were lining up to punt, it was decided that I would return this sucker. So of course the ball is in the air, and I'm running under it to get ready to catch it. However, my blockers are all looking up at the fricking ball too and one of them decides to catch it instead of blocking. My first thought was going back to last Sunday's game. I get the chance to return a kick, and all my blockers are looking up at the fricking ball with me instead of looking horizontal to block, and boom I get the clothesline from hell by JW because of course everyone is still staring at the ball. I mean geeez it's simple either you're a returner or a blocker, you can't be both here. QB's picking up blitzes, is it really that hard too? I mean for me I feel it's easy as reading a full court press in b-ball. There are a lot of people out there that think they can play this game but it's like if we played tackle, then people are gonna get hurt, no doubt about it.

The other sucked part in the Conference game was on one play, I was covering Mike. I saw him mouth the number 2, so I anticipated, and tweaked the same knee on the play. I heard a minor pop, but I was able to walk it off and not miss a play. Man now my knee feels like a rubber band though. I guess I gotta test this bad boy out on Sunday.

Someday

No comments: