Friday, October 17, 2003

Yesterday's playoff drama - URAPK vs. There Can Only Be 1 at halftime was 20-7 as we were down 2 scores and I looked everyone's heads just hanging as our season was only 20 minutes away from being over. Before the game started as we were grabbing our jerseys, Peter came up to me and asked "Do you feel like being David Terrell or Braylon Edwards?" I didn't know what he was talking about. Then he handed me the # 1 jersey and said "Here you deserve to wear this." So as halftime was over I just knew I had to do something to make the team believe we can win.

On There Can Only Be 1's 5th play on the drive, it happened. I anticipated and jumped up for our first interception of the game and brought it back it to their 30 yard line. A few plays later, boom Stan connects to Peter for the touchdown and converted the extra point to bring the score 20-13.

There Can Only Be 1 now has lead a long drive and are in the red zone. 3 plays they kept going to their dubbed Randy Moss, and 3 plays I deflected the ball away from him. The last one I was waving my finger to the QB and whispered to their Moss "tell them to keep throwing to you." On 4th and goal, Ray might of not had a sack throughout the game but his pressure on this play made the difference. As the QB kept scrambling backwards, Ray's pressure made him slp and fall which lead to a turnover on downs.

With only 1:30 left in the game now and the score at 20-13, we all knew in the huddle that we controlled our destiny now. With 30 seconds left in the game, and we're at their 10 yard line it seemed inevitable that we were gonna score. However, 3 plays later, we haven't moved an inch. Now their was only 7 seconds left, and it was 4th and goal, with no more timeouts. This was it, we ran our bootleg play, Stan rolls around close to the line of scrimmage, and just fires it to the corner of the endzone. It was a low throw, and I just dove for it, and touchdown as the ref signals in the air. We converted the extra point which ended the game at 20-20.

First overtime, both teams score to make it 26-26. Now they had the ball first for the start of 2nd overtime. We stopped them and again our turn to be on offense in which we knew again that we control our fate. However, 3 plays later nothing had happened again with a crucial 4th and goal now. The same bootleg play, Stan rolls around and finds Matt wide open for the TD to end the game. URAPK 32 and There Can Only Be 1 26. The chips were stacked against us to win because this was the OU Rec team as well.

As we were all celebrating our victory, which was our first, I kept telling everyone that we win when it matters. I was wearing #1 and I knew I had to step up my play even more on both sides of the ball. The OU Post our school newspaper came over to interview Stan and myself. Stan couldn't say much so I did most of the talking, which parts of it were cocky towards that other team because they kept looking down on us as we had the worst record. We have moved on to the semi-finals now and I have a nice 48 hours of rest before we hit practice again.

URAPK all the way, because you gotta believe in this team. Watch out for # 1 :) as the team has now made sure I wear that for the next game.

No comments: