Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Ok, so last night we defeated The Other Team 2-1 and I'm glad that everyone on the team had fun. So much fun that we all went out to the bar and it was a good time to just chill. For a second place team though, that team still sucks in my opinion. However, I couldn't enjoy myself as much as I felt like it's my fault that we lost that last game. Was it just me or did last night go by really fast. 2 plays that stuck out in my mind was the bad pass I gave where I got called for a double hit or lift, and the last play of the game where I hit right into the net. If their's one thing I love to study, it is studying how I play and how other teams play. Since we don't have these games on tape, I make mental notes of how I played and other teams. It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong and how did I hit it into the net, and after talking to Chrissy, and I know she is right that I just thought way too much in the air of where I wanted to go line or angle. By the time I made up my mind, I hit it right into the net and I came crashing to the floor already knowing that I hit it into the net just screaming out "SHIT!" It's one of the toughest things in the world is trying to lead a team when people have high expectations of you when you're considered a top player. When you do good, obviously people will say what a great job you did, but when you do bad, everyone gets on you. Like Tim Couch got hurt on Sunday, and he was playing bad, and his own fans cheered when he got hurt. That is just one of the worst feelings in the world. I know I've had my successes in leading a team and I'm thankful that those things happenned, by why do all the shortcomings stick out in my mind? Even just this past Saturday, I missed an easy shot for the game winner, and the other team took it all the way back to end the game. My teammates kept asking or telling me, how could you of missed that shot. All I could do was take the blame because I had the shot and missed it. Just like last night, I had a terrific set from Chrissy and I killed it right into the net.

I hate to lose, it's one thing I can't stand. Here are some of my biggest let downs that came up in my mind last night:

Fall '98, Stevenson vs. Romeo 28-7, We still won the game but I felt like it was my fault for letting them score their only touchdown. Because as a safety, you are the last line of defense, and I left my assignment reading the TE and let the WR go right past the cornerback and myself.
Winter '99 Wolfpack vs. Falcons, I don't remember the score but it was the city conference finals in b-ball. We were down by 2 with 3 seconds to go, and Cory was able to free me up for an open look at the 3. I took the shot, and it rimmed in and out, and I crashed to the floor upset, because it was an upset victory.
Spring '99 Titans vs. Everyone, this was our tennis invitationals, at 4 different high schools. Derek and I were lucky enough to draw and were able to stay at home against our opponents while everyone else got sent to other high schools. I was the team captain as usual, and I was going up against I believe it was Fraser's no. 4 singles. Coach Roman talked to me about how I needed to win my match in order for our team to be placed 3rd and get a bronze medal for it. I gave it my all, and in the middle of the match, my shoulder popped out. The ref asked if I wanted to forfeit? All I could say was hell no at the time because I don't quit. The trainer came out and wrapped an ice pack around my shoulder, and I resumed my match, but I was defeated. Coach talked to me after, and asked if I wanted to forfeit the rest of my matches at the invitational. I decided not to and took out my frustration against some kid from Warren Woods Tower and easily took that match.

So yup 3 things that stuck out in my mind last night. Again it's a crappy feeling to know that you've let the team down. But all I can do now is focus on next week's game and study that team's tendency on what they like to do.

Happy B-day to Chrissy as she is getting older now :Þ, mwhahahaha

No comments: